Brookie Skillet Cookie
A dark chocolate chip brownie layer sits atop a sweetened flaked coconut chocolate chip cookie layer in this Brookie Skillet Cookie. Left slightly under baked and served with vanilla ice cream - This Brookie Skillet Cookie is a gooey treat to enjoy whenever you're in the mood for chocolate!
For the brownie batter
- 5 tablespoons Unsalted butter cut into cubes
- 1/4 cup Light brown sugar packed
- 1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons Granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons Unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 teaspoon Salt
- 1 1/4 teaspoon Vanilla extract
- 1 large Egg
- 1/4 cup spooned, then leveled All-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup Milk chocolate chips
For the chocolate chip cookie dough
- 1/2 cup 1 stick Unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup Coconut sugar
- 1/4 cup Granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup Light brown sugar packed
- 1 large Egg
- 1 ½ teaspoon Vanilla extract
- 1 cup All-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon Baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon Baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon Cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 1 1/2 cups Sweetened flaked coconut
- 1 cup Semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup Milk chocolate chips
- Milk chocolate chips for studding on cookie dough
- Vanilla ice cream for serving, optional
- Dulce de leche for drizzle for serving, optional
Make the brownie batter:
Preheat the oven to 350° Fahrenheit. Lightly spray a 10" cast iron skillet with cooking spray and set aside.
In a small saucepan, melt the butter. Remove from heat. Add sugar and cocoa powder. Stir the mixture until completely combined. Add the salt and vanilla extract and stir to combine. Set aside for a minute or so and allow the mixture to cool slightly. Add the egg and stir until the egg is completely incorporated. Add the flour and fold until combined and no flour streaks remain. Set aside while you make the coconut chocolate chip cookie dough.
Make the coconut chocolate chip cookie dough:
Melt butter over medium heat in the 10-inch cast iron skillet. Add the sugars and still until the sugar dissolves and the mixture comes together. At first it will seem as if it won't, but keep stirring. Remove the skillet from the heat and allow the mixture to cool for at least 5 minutes.
Add the egg and vanilla extract to butter mixture and stir until combined.
Add the egg and vanilla to the cooled butter mixture. Stir until combined. Add the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt and mix until just combined. You should see dry bits of flour. Fold in the sweetened flaked coconut and the chocolate chips.
Spread the cookie dough evenly in the skillet. Grab the brownie batter and scoop it into the cookie dough. Swirl lightly, if desired. Place in the oven and bake for 20-25 minutes until the cookie dough is golden brown. The skillet cookie should remain under baked.
Remove from the oven. Allow to cool slightly and stud with chocolate chips.
Serve warm or at room temperature with scoops of vanilla ice cream and dulce de leche drizzle.
Coconut chocolate chip cookie dough adapted from Bake or Break
Brownie batter adapted from Dessert for Two