Cuba’s national cocktail just got a makeover! Intensely floral, a lightly tart – This Lavender Blueberry Mojito is mixed with a lavender blueberry infused simple syrup, mint, and a generous pour of dark rum!
So I heard today was DoomsDay. Apparently – And according to Apocalypse fanatics – the world will end in about 8 hours, give or take a few minutes. Scientists announced a polar shift and Doomsday theorists are up in arms, taking inventory of their freeze dried foods, and hiding in their underground bunkers today.
I prepare for DoomsDay in the same way I prepare for a hurricane.
If we’re going to die anyway, why not celebrate the life you lead? No regrets. And let’s be real – I am not ready to survive some sort of apocalyptic event. I am nowhere NEAR ready. I have about 1 week’s worth of food in my pantry, if that. I have a lot of beans. Definitely beans.
Oh, I MEANT to prepare for the apocalypse. I watched Extreme Couponing. I meant to prepare. I do a bit of cardio, like every once in a while. You know, in case I have to run for my life. But I’m anemic, people. I tire easily. And I don’t understand the whole coupon clipping thing and how people end up paying .15 on a $450 grocery bill.
Can I be real with y’all? In real life, I’m a procrastinator.
I procrastinated the end of the world and now I.AM.NOT.READY.
So I’m going to have a drink. Because what I DO have is booze. And infused sugar. And mint in my fridge. At least until the power goes out.
Flow with me. Let’s talk about Lavender Blueberry Mojito.
A few weeks ago I made a Lavender Vanilla Infused Sugar. For this VERY purpose.
No, not the end of the world.
For mojitos, silly!
I must warn you, if you’re not into floral drinks, this mojito is not for you. If you’re hiding in your bunker awaiting the end of the world, we can’t hang.
This drink is for those of us who aren’t ready. The ones who await the end of the world like New Year’s Eve in Times Square.
You guys, come hang with me.
Alright, this mojito situation starts with a lavender blueberry simple syrup. Blueberries are pureed with water and poured into a saucepan with lavender and granulated sugar. They’re cooked down this till it’s a beautiful purplish/bluish hue. Boom. Done.
Grab your infused sugar, mint, limes, rum, and seltzer.
Ready to build a mojito?
Cool. Follow me, homeslice.
Muddle the mint with limes and a bit of lavender vanilla infused sugar.
Add the lavender blueberry syrup.
Mix that shit.
Top with selzer.
Stir a bit to incorporate.
Garnish with mint, ‘cause you’re a fancy mofo.
Mojitos are sipped.
Don’t ever forget it.
Now wait for the end of the world.
See you on the flipside.
Blueberry Lavender Mojito
For the Lavender Blueberry Simple Syrup
- 1/2 cup 1 cup of blueberries or small berry of choice
- 1/4 cup Dried lavender buds
- 1 1/2 cups Water
- 1 1/2 cups Sugar
For the mojito
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Lavender Vanilla Sugar
- 5-6 Mint leaves
- 1 lime quartered Lime
- 2 tablespoons Lavender Bluberry Simple Syrup
- 2-3 tablespoons 1 - 1.5 ounces Dark rum
- Mint leaves for garnish
Make the simple syrup:
- To a blender, add the blueberries and water. Puree on high until mostly smooth. Pour the blueberry puree in a medium saucepan. To the saucepan add the lavender buds and sugar. Bring to a boil over medium/high heat. Reduce the heat to low and simmer until the sugar has dissolved, about 8-9 minutes. Remove from heat and allow to cool completely, then strain and discard the solids. Pour the mixture in a glass container with a tight fitting lid until ready to use.
- Makes about 2 cups of syrup, enough for many mojitos.
Make the mojito:
- Add mint, lavender sugar and limes to an 8 ounce glass. Muddle with a muddler or a wooden spoon until the mint is fragrant and the lime has released its juice.
- Add the lavender blueberry simple syrup and rum. Stir a bit to combine. Add ice, followed by seltzer. Stir gently to combine.
- Garnish with mint and limes, if desired.