A tart kiwi puree and zesty limes are the building blocks to this Kiwi Lime Coconut Rum Smash. Tropical sweet coconut cream and two types of rum make this cocktail an enjoyable sipping experience!
There’s been a lot of dialog lately. Numerous debates surrounding deep, meaningful topics – Topics ranging from animal cruelty, to police brutality, to racism, to marriage equality, to privilege. The air is electric with conversation and the omnipresent opinion touted as fact. It is buzzing. We are at the cusp of real significant change in our lifetimes.
I dig that shit.
I’m not here to climb on my soapbox and shove my opinions or views down your throat. This isn’t the platform for it. We’re about the food life. It is my duty to shove food, drink, and desserts in your faces.
It’s what I’m here for. I’m just doin’ my job here.
Flow with me, homies – I’ve got a cocktail situation for you.
I love nice refreshing cocktails. Something you can throw together when company comes over. A little somethin’ somethin’ to sip as you discuss your stock portfolio, Puerto Rico’s massive debt, or the best way to get ink stains out of your favorite tank top. Seriously… Can someone help a sista’ out with that?
This Kiwi Lime Smash is just that drink. I start with a kiwi puree, which is lightly sweetened with sugar. The kiwi puree still remains tart, in case you’re wondering. A couple of tablespoons of puree and a quartered lime are muddled in a cocktail shaker. I added a bit of sweetened coconut cream to give this cocktail some tropical flair. You add ice and rum – Two types – Coconut and a nice smooth light rum. Then you shake the crap out of it. Finally you pour it in a glass and top it with seltzer for a little bubbly action.
I can’t tell you how quick this Kiwi Lime Smash is to whip up and how smooth it goes down.
So as the narrative shifts and shifts again – Be the one sipping this cocktail.
For the kiwi puree
- 2 Kiwis skin removed and quartered
- 2 tablespoons Granulated sugar
For the kiwi lime smash
- 2-3 tablespoons Kiwi puree
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Sweetened coconut cream like Coco Lopez
- 1 small lime quartered
- 1.5 ounces Coconut rum
- 1/2 ounce Light rum
Make the kiwi puree:
- In a blender, quickly puree kiwi and sugar. Transfer to a small jar with a tight fitting lid and store in the refrigerator until ready to use. Puree makes enough for about 3 cocktails. Double or triple as needed.
Make the cocktail:
- To a cocktail shaker (or a 12 ounce mason jar) add the kiwi puree, lime quarters, and coconut cream. Muddle with a muddler or back of a wooden spoon until the limes are fragrant and have released their juice. Add the coconut and light rums followed by the ice. Close and shake vigorously for 10-15 seconds. Pour into an 8 ounce glass and top with seltzer.