Real talk. I haven’t wrapped one present yet. Not a one. They’re in various hiding places (yet in plain sight) throughout our house. I vowed I wouldn’t leave gift wrapping to the very end, but it’s lookin’ like gift wrapping at 2AM to the low sounds of Christmas carols on December 25th is inevitable.
What can I say? I’m a born procrastinator. I’m 38. I’m set in my ways. And in my defense, I have a very unpredictable daughter. She could wake up any minute and discover Santa isn’t real. I’ve already ruined it for one kid. I can’t bear to ruin it for her too.
Enough about my late late late Christmas gift wrapping – How are your Christmas celebrations shaping up? Is your menu ready? Are you roasting pork? Are you making dessert? How many, like 15? Drinks? Is your bar stocked? I’m having a super low key Christmas. I hosted Christmas two years in a row and I’m kinda beat. So much prep. So much cooking. And more often than not, the first guests arrive and I’m still in a combination PJ pants, baseball cap, and a t-shirt with flour handprints in the boob area. I’m done. Not doing it this year. I plan to be one of the first guests to arrive to someone else’s house, wearing a nice outfit devoid of handprints in my boobie areas.
I won’t roll up empty handed. I never ever do. Invite me over, you’ll see. Along with a slew of yummy desserts, I bring with me all the fixins for this Cranberry Tangerine Fizzy. This Fizzy situation is non-alcoholic for those who happen to be on antibiotics, on the wagon, or generally refuse to imbibe alcohol. Not everyone drinks. It’s cool. You’re reducing the risk of getting your ass run over by a reindeer. Respect. I got you, boo!
All that’s required to make this Cranberry Tangerine Fizzy is a cranberry simple syrup, tangerine slices, and bubbles. Really. That’s it. It’s festive, beautiful to look at, and refreshing. The taste will knock your stockings off. Fo’ sho’.
And if you feel like turning it into a cocktail, add a lil’ bourbon. Because bourbon is the Christmas thing to do.
For the cranberry simple syrup
- 1 1/2 cups Fresh cranberries
- 1 cup water
- 1 1/2 cups Granulated sugar
- Splash of vanilla extract
For the Cranberry Tangerine Fizzy
- 1 Tangerine quartered
- 2-3 tablespoons or to taste Cranberry simple syrup
- Seltzer I found this terrific Cranberry Lime Seltzer, but plain is fine
- Cranberries for garnish
Cranberry simple syrup:
- In a small saucepan, combine cranberries, water, sugar, and vanilla extract. Give it a quick stir and bring to a boil over medium/high heat (watch it or it will boil over). Reduce the heat to medium and cook until the cranberries burst (youâ??ll hear them. Itâ??s so cool), soften, and wrinkle a bit. Remove from heat and allow it to come to room temperature (cranberries and all). Strain the cranberries, pressing down on the solids to extract as much liquid as possible. Discard the cranberries or save for cheesecake topping. Pour into a glass container with a tight-fitting lid.
- Makes about 2 cups of simple syrup.
For the Cranberry Tangerine Fizzy:
- To an 8 ounce glass, add the quartered tangerines and cranberry simple syrup. Muddle with a muddler or back of a wooden spoon until the tangerine slices are very fragrant and release their liquid. Add ice over the tangerine/simple syrup mixture and top with seltzer. Give it a quick stir and garnish with cranberries, if desired.