What’s more fun that chewing a giant wad of bubblegum? Bubblegum ice cream!!! Pink Bazooka chewing gum is infused in milk and heavy cream, then churned to creamy pink mind-blowing bubblegum perfection!
I’m done adulting for today. Done. It’s Friday and I have officially thrown in the adult towel.
If you need me I will be making a blanket fort in my living room. If you need me I will be scratching and sniffing stickers. If you need me I will be drinking strawberry milk out of a She-ra thermos and watching Jem cartoons. If you’re looking for the adult Mrs. M.O.B., I have temporarily checked out for the weekend.
I cannot face adulthood right now. I cannot deal with the fear that threatens to choke the life out of me when my son walks out the door and heads to his biomedical internship.
It’s not a good time for people of color in America. And I never thought I’d have to utter these words. Ever. Today I cannot see another death, whether civilian or law enforcement. I cannot read one more incendiary, polarizing, hateful comment.
So if you need me, I will be shoving 8-9 pieces of Bazooka bubblegum in my mouth. If you need me I will be the one chewing, chewing, chewing, until my jaw threatens to dislodge. If you need me I will be the one behind the giant pink bubble. If you need me I will be the one making bubblegum ice cream.
I think we can all use a minute to be immature, childlike. Seriously. Flow with me, I just made ice cream out of an insane amount of Bazooka bubblegum.
Yah, I did that. I took an insane amount of Bazooka gum and infused it in milk and heavy cream.
I cooked it down and thickened it with cornstarch. I cooled and churned it to creamy pink frozen bubblegum madness. It was fun.
It was childish and I didn’t care. Because spooning bubblegum flavored ice cream in our mouths is EXACTLY what we SHOULD be doing this summer. All summer long, as often as we can.
Not all this other shit.
Bubblegum Ice Cream
For the cornstarch slurry
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons whole milk
- 45 pieces Bazooka Bubblegum
- 2 cups Whole milk
- 1 cup Heavy cream
- 2-3 tablespoons Granulated sugar
- pinch salt
- Make the cornstarch slurry by combining cornstarch and 2 tablespoons of milk in a small bowl. Stir until the cornstarch dissolves and set aside.
- Fill a large bowl with ice water and place a 1-gallon Ziploc bag inside.
- Combine the bubblegum, milk, and heavy cream in a blender. Blend on high until the bubblegum pieces are pureed into the milk. Pour the mixture into a medium saucepan, add the sugar, pinch of salt, and bring to a simmer over medium/high heat. Do not let the mixture boil over. Reduce the heat to low and add the cornstarch slurry. Whisking the entire time, cook the mixture until thickened, about 3-5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and pour into Ziploc bag. Seal the bag and submerge it in the ice bath. Allow the mixture to cool completely, adding more ice as needed.
- Once the mixture has cooled, place a cheesecloth over a fine mesh strainer and strain the mixture at least 3-4 times, washing out the cheesecloth each time. The cheesecloth will be sticky from the gum. Discard the solids.
- Pour the mixture into an ice cream maker and freeze according to manufacturer’s instructions.
- Makes 1 quart of ice cream.