Last Sunday I got sucked into a Lifetime movie marathon. I don’t know what the hell happened. I was lying on my couch, partially catatonic and Friends was on. Next thing you know I’m watching flick after Lifetime flick.
Lifetime is a vortex. It sucks you in and suddenly you’re in a dimension of murder, child abduction, teenage pregnancy, good girls gone bad, drug addiction, and anorexia. You don’t want to watch – You really don’t – but you really can’t pull yourself away. You become emotionally vested and need to know how every single one of these movies end. EVERY.SINGLE.ONE.
No matter HOW BAD.
So I made some popcorn. What’s a chick to do, here? I was already sucked into the Lifetime vortex. I came to terms with it. Lifetime would let me go when it damn well pleased. So I made a snack.
So this habanero lime popcorn situation. It’s the BOMB. I got up in the midst of my second Lifetime movie. By then I was mesmerized with Eric from Trueblood, who played a very convincing redneck. That’s how Lifetime get you, by the way. They play movies with a character you love and holds you, spellbound. I didn’t have a chance. I loves me some Eric Northman.
Anyway… Flow with me… We’re going to pop some kernels.
I wanted my popcorn spicy, zesty, and fun – So I came up with a habanero lime butter situation.
A blend of ground habanero and vulcan fire salt provide needed spice. Have you tried Vulcan Fire Salt from The Spice House? No? You need to remedy that situation – STAT. I won’t allow you to live your life without this salt. It’s spicy and deeply flavored. It’s amazing. I’ve sprinkled it in my mouth.
Don’t judge me.
Lime zest and juice will make your lips pucker in a good way. Let’s be about this lime situation.
And butter, cause… Butter, yo.
Once you pop your kernels they are placed in a paper bag with the spices, lime situation, and butter. Give it a shake. Place it in the oven to dry a bit and help all this spicy buttery goodness adhere. The best part about this habanero lime situation? When you get a completely coated habanero butter kernel. Oh, mama… So good.
Sit back. Munch on this jammy. Willingly allow the Lifetime vortex to suck you in. And hope it spits you out in time to make dinner.
For the popcorn
- 3/4 cup unpopped corn kernels
- 1/4 cup of oil grapeseed, olive, vegetable or clarified butter
For the habanero lime butter
- 1/3 cup 5 tablespoons melted butter
- Zest of 3 limes
- Juice of 1 1/2 - 2 limes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon vulcan fire salt or any spiced salt
- scant 1/2 teaspoon ground habanero chili
Pop your kernels, old school style:
- Set the heat to medium-high. Add about 1/4 cup of clarified butter, olive or grapeseed oil to a large pot with a lid. Add the kernels and
- cover the pot. When you hear the first sound of kernels popping, reduce the to medium-low and allow the kernels to pop completely.
- Every minute or so, give the pot a shake to ensure all your kernels have been hit with a heat situation (this will make them all pop).
- As the popcorn nears completion you will hear the poppping sounds diminish. Set your popcorn aside while you prepare your spicy lime situation.
For the habanero lime situation:
- Put your popped kernels in a large, clean paper bag. In a medium bowl combine the melted butter, lime juice, lime zest, vulcan and regular salt and habanero chili powder.
- Whisk to combine and drizzle about half the butter mixture over the popcorn. Fold the bag closed and give it a shake until the popcorn is coated and moist.
- Taste and add more of the habanero butter, if desired. I added the whole thing, but this is your popcorn situation.
- Spread the popcorn evenly over the 2 baking sheets and bake until the popcorn is dry, about 5-7 minutes, tossing every couple of minutes to distribute that buttery goodness evenly.
- Makes about 4 quarts of spicy popcorn.