Don’t toss your old tortillas just yet! Turn them into crispy Chili Lime Tortilla Chips instead! Brushed with a spicy, zesty mixture and baked to perfection – You will not stop until you’ve eaten the whole batch!
If I told you how many bags of wheat tortillas I have stashed in my fridge, you’d give me some side eye.
I won’t give you an exact number. What I will say is, I’m a bit of a tortilla hoarder. Just a little bit.
Nothing to concern yourselves with. It’s not like you’ll find tortillas purchased in 2014. Maybe 2015. And only because that bag of tortillas was hiding behind a wall of Apple Butter.
When I found a bag (hiding in plain sight) I thought, ‘These would make excellent tortilla chips!’
The idea for these Chili Lime Tortillas was born.
Flow with me. We’re giving tortillas a makeover.
Grab those old tortillas you’ve been stashing in the fridge. You know, the ones you’ve been wondering whether or not to throw away. The ones that clearly haven’t developed mold. That’s key. No mold. The moldy ones? Throw those away.
Now, here’s the secret to what makes these tortilla chips better than any tortilla chips you’ve ever had.
Are you ready?
It’s a trademark pending (no, not really because I’m giving it to you) full bodied sauce. It’s magic, bruh. I mixed together some olive oil, chili powder, lime (juice and zest), garlic powder, paprika, cayenne, dried cilantro, and salt to taste. Then I brushed this sauce on the surface of each tortilla. Both sides. Yah, both sides. This must not be skipped. With a pizza cutter I cut each tortilla into 8 triangles.
I popped them in the oven and baked until browned and crisp, about 6 minutes.
Chili Lime Tortillas!
Your old forgotten tortillas are new again. Brand spankin’ new. And damn are they HOT! Not super spicy hot. More like Mmm, these tortillas are on fleek!! Is that what the kids are saying these days? Does it apply to food or only eyebrows?
This jammy is zesty and mildly spicy. Mmmm.
Are you going to make them? You should. Stop what you’re doing and go pop some Chili Lime Tortillas in the oven right now.
I prefer you dip them in your favorite guacamole or salsa. Go deep. Truth? You and I – We both know what will happen. You WILL eat them straight out the oven, ‘cause who frets over blistered tongues when chips are THIS good!?
Not me, that’s who.
Chili Lime Tortilla Chips
- 2 tablespoons Olive oil
- ½ teaspoon Chili powder
- Zest of ½ Lime
- Juice of 1 Lime
- ¼ teaspoon Garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon Paprika
- Pinch of Cayenne
- ½ teaspoon Dried cilantro
- 1/2 - 3/4 teaspoon Salt
- 12 Flour tortillas
- Preheat oven to 400° Fahrenheit. Line 2 cookie sheets with parchment and spray very lightly with cooking spray. Set aside.
- To a small bowl, add olive oil, chili powder, lime zest, lime juice, garlic powder, paprika, cayenne, dried cilantro, and salt. Mix well to combine. Taste and adjust seasonings as needed. Brush mixture lightly over each tortilla on both sides. Slice or cut each tortilla into 8 wedges. Spread tortilla wedges in a single layer on prepared cookie sheet and place in the oven.
- Toast chips in the oven for 5-7 minutes (more like 5) or until chips are lightly browned and crisp.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool. Serve with your favorite salsa or guacamole.
- Double or triple as needed.
- This batch makes about 96 chips.