Deliciously refreshing and bursting with summer berry bounty, this Strawberry Agua Fresca Rum Cocktail is one you should be sipping all summer long.
I’ve been pondering the meaning of life lately. You know, my purpose in this world. I’m approaching an age where I’m starting to seriously give thought to my legacy. When I die – Hopefully when I’m 91 and as a result of some extreme sport – What will I leave behind?
Will I leave nothing but ashes; ashes I initially requested be flushed down the toilet? No, really – I requested my ashes be flushed. Then I thought of the damage flushed ashes might do the plumbing and I changed my mind. I don’t want to be a burden and overflow a toilet. Nobody wants to be simultaneously plunged and cursed out posthumously. It’s just not the way I want to be remembered.
Anyway, I’ve reached an age where I want to bring meaning to my years, my weeks, my days – Fuck, even my hours. I want to leave something behind. To contribute. Professionally, I mean. Other than this blog, I don’t feel like I’m contributing to the world. It’s more like each work day bleeds into the next and I’m just trying to get through it; through the day, to the weekend. Just through it. It’s strange.
Am I having some sort of mid-life crisis?
Do I need a vacation?
Am I just an ungrateful bitch?
Can we talk about cocktails?
Flow with me…
I’m about the agua fresca life during the summer months. There is no shortage of fruit in summer, therefore it’s easy to get your fill. Or overfill. And because seasonal fruit is so inexpensive, I tend to over purchase and fill my fridge to the brim. Fruit goes bad people. Quickly. Especially berries, which is why I like to turn all that fruit into agua fresca.
Agua fresca is easy to make. Some fruit, water, a little bit of sugar – And you’re done. Pop it in the fridge and enjoy. Repeat that shit when you have an overabundance of berries. Simple. I love strawberries. I buy them year round. In the summer I make strawberry agua fresca. This my friends is the base of today’s recipe. The agua freca part.
Now what happens when you want a little kick to your agua fresca? You add booze. Lots of booze. Let’s add booze to this situation. Rum, ‘cause I’m an island chick. Coconut rum, ‘cause I’m about the tropical island life. Limes for a zesty kick. Mint for freshness. Ice, a bit of a stir and there you have it – The most refreshing cocktail you will have all summer. Be about it.
If you need me, I’ll be sipping these cocktails as I ponder this whole meaning of life vs. the “Am I’m having a mid-life crisis?” situation.
For the Strawberry agua fresca
- 2 pounds Strawberries hulled and sliced
- 10 cups Cold water
- 1/2 - 3/4 cup Granulated sugar
Strawberry Agua Fresca Rum cocktail
- 1/2 lime quartered
- 6-8 Fresh mint leaves
- 2 Sliced strawberries
- Strawberry agua fresca
- Coconut rum
- Make the watermelon agua fresca:
- Add the strawberries to a blender and puree until mostly smooth. Add water and puree until incorporated and smooth. Strain of its pulp into a sealable jar. Add sugar and give it a shake until the sugar is incorporated. Taste and adjust the sugar as needed.
- Store agua fresca in the refrigerator until ready to use. This makes over half a gallon of agua fresca.
- Make the cocktail:
- To an 8oz glass add the lime, mint, and sliced strawberries. Crush with a cocktail muddler or a wooden spoon until the mint and mint is smashed - And juice of the lime slices are released. Fill the glass with ice. Pour agua fresca about ¾ of the way, then top with coconut rum.
- Give it a little stir to incorporate. Sip.Sip.
- Agua fresca makes about 8-10 cocktails.