Have you ever visited a food blog and saw something that made your mouth water?
Have you said to yourself; “Oh, I would LOVE to make THAT! Now… Right NOW!”
And you really want to. You share it on social media. You pin it. You purchase ingredients. It’s a serious Gung Ho situation. You are down with this.
Then because of the cooking and cooling time you get sort of… Impatient?
Because you want it now.
But it won’t be ready now.
It will be ready later.
But you want it now.
Can you relate?
Last week I saw THIS Apple Crème Brulee. I mean, really… It looked amazing. I admit it, I drooled. I admit it, I purchased ingredients. I even found a couple of jars of homemade apple butter in a deep corner of my fridge.
I was ready.
I WANTED THIS.
But I wanted it now. And it wouldn’t be ready now. It would be ready later. But I wanted it now.
It was hard. I had to put this luscious crème brulee aside; for another day. A day I am blessed with infinite patience. I made the next best thing: This Apple Butter No Bake Cheesecake.
Because I wanted it…
This dessert is no bake. Instead of crunchy sugar topping we’re going the candied walnut route. Candied walnuts take 5 minutes to make. And if you have all your ingredients the apple butter no bake cheesecake takes another 5 minutes.
How fast can you pipe? Shoot, it doesn’t even have to be pretty. It’s mini. Mini is always pretty. Just squeeze and you’ll do great.
It is almost as silky and luscious as a crème brulee. Almost.
And you can have it now.
For the candied walnuts
- 1 heaping cup Chopped walnuts
- 1/4 cup Granulated sugar
- 1 Tablespoon Unsalted butter
- Splash of vanilla extract
For the apple butter cheesecake
- 8 ounces Cream cheese cold
- 1 cup Apple butter
- Dash of ground cinnamon optional
- Dash of ground nutmeg optional
- Dash of ground ginger optional
- 2 teaspoons Vanilla extract
- 1 ½ - 2 cups Confectioners' sugar
- 2 cups Heavy cream cold
- Make the candied walnuts:
- Place a sheet of parchment paper on a cookie sheet and lightly spray with cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a medium non-stick skillet over low heat, melt the butter. Add the granulated sugar followed by the walnuts and splash of vanilla extract. Stir to coat the walnuts. Increase the heat to medium and cook for about 5 minutes stirring THE ENTIRE TIME until all the sugar is melted and the walnuts are well coated with sugar.
- Transfer the candied walnuts immediately to the sheet of parchment paper. With a spatula and moving quickly (quickly is key, otherwise the walnuts will cool into a big clump) separate the walnuts as best you can. Allow them to cool completely, and then chop them as finely as you’d like. Set aside in a bowl until ready to use.
- Make the apple no bake cheesecake:
- In a bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a whisk attachment over medium speed – Whip the cream cheese, apple butter, cinnamon, and vanilla extract for about 30 seconds until combined. Stop the mixer and add the confectioners’ sugar. Mix on low until the confectioners’ sugar is mostly combined and there is no danger of confectioners’ sugar blowing in your face. Increase the mixer speed to high and whip until fully combined and pillowy. Add the heavy cream in 3 parts, allowing the heavy cream to thicken before each addition. Whip until fully thickened. Stop the mixer and spoon the cheesecake filling into a piping bag fitted with a round tip. Assemble the cheesecakes immediately or place in the refrigerator until ready to use.
- To assemble:
- Prepare six 5 ounce dessert glasses or bowls. Pipe the apple cheesecake filling inside a mini dessert glass or bowl. Add a couple of tablespoons of candied walnuts, pipe more cheesecake filling, and finally top with walnuts. Repeat with all glasses. Store in the refrigerator until ready to eat.
- Makes 6