Inspired by my favorite Girl Scout Cookie, these Rice Krispie treats have all the flavors of a Samoa cookie in a nice compact square! Dulce de leche and sweetened coconut flakes are folded into melted marshmallows and Rice Krispies cereal. Let’s be real… There’s a new treat ‘round these parts!
Let’s keep this situation short. You have butter to melt. Yes, butter. It’s hip expanding gold from heaven; makes errthang tastes incredible.
You have dulce de leche to dollop and watch as it makes little caramel figures. Are those the winning Lotto numbers you see?
Grab a pen. Jot those down. Just in case.
You have a whole bag of mini marshmallows to dump inside a pot, watch it melt, then marvel as it turns a luscious caramel color. You know, because of the dulce de leche.
You have a heaping cup of sweetened coconut flakes to dump into those deliciously melted marshmallows – The very same marshmallows you sort of want to stick your face into. But you won’t.
Because it’s hot and you’ll burn your face and your lashes will stick together in a very unappealing way. You need your face. Your face… It’s how people identify you.
You’ll need to dump cups and cups of Rice Krispies cereal into all that dulce de leche, coconut and melted marshmallow goodness. It’s the reason you’re here.
This sticky goodness HAS to be dumped in a pan and smoothed out, yo. As best you can. Rice Krispies cereal is a bumpy situation. There is no time to admire your handiwork – You need pour melted chocolate on top of the whole dang thing and place it in your freezer.
You’ll need to wait patiently as the chocolate sets. That part – The waiting – Is going to be hella hard.
You’ll get through it. I promise.
You have to cut these into squares. There is no time to waste. Finally there’s that drizzle of chocolate. There’s the first bite. – A second bite, a third bite.
Screw it – Just eat the whole thing. Run in place if you’re suddenly overcome by guilt, for you have just eaten a luscious square which rivals that a Samoa cookie. And you never thought that could happen.
But it just did. No, really – It did.
What are you waiting for? You have work to do.
- 3 tablespoons Unsalted butter
- Scant 1/2 cup Dulce de Leche
- 1 10 ounce package Mini marshmallows
- 1 heaping cup Sweetened coconut flakes
- 6 cups Rice Krispies cereal
- 1 1/4 cup Semi sweet chocolate chips
- Melt the chocolate:
- Fill a small saucepan with water and place a stainless steel bowl over the saucepan. Over low heat, melt the chocolate, stirring occasionally. Turn off heat, reserve about 1/4 cup of melted chocolate. This will be used for drizzling. Set aside the rest (about 1 cup).
- Make the Samoa treats:
- Liberally grease an 8x8 square pan with cooking spray and aside. Add the butter to a large saucepan set to low heat. To the unsalted butter add the dulce de leche and stir until somewhat melted. If you see chunks of dulce de leche it’s OK.
- Add the marshmallows and stir until marshmallows and dulce de leche are completely melted. Remove from heat and add the coconut flakes followed by the rice krispies cereal. Mix until the rice krispie cereal is completely well coated by the marshmallow mixture.
- Using a spatula liberally sprayed with cooking spray, pour and press the mixture into your prepared square pan. Pour the melted chocolate over the mixture and smooth as best you can. Place the freezer for about 10 minutes to set.
- Once your rice treats have cooled, run a knife around the pan and invert the treats onto a cutting board or a flat surface. Cut the treats into either 9 even sized squares or 18 smaller squares. Drizzle with remaining 1/4 cup of melted chocolate.
- Bring to room temperature and enjoy those bad boys.
- Inspired by The Original Rice Krispie Treat and the Samoa Girl Scout Cookie