Let’s talk about things giving me life today.
We have four planets in, or nearing retrograde right now. I’m emotional. You’re emotional. Life is confusing. Let’s talk about things giving us life.
What is giving me life today?
Pod Save America has breathed life into me. Jon Favreau and Dan Pfeiffer are approaching the political conversation with brutal honesty and humor. Which, unless you live under a rock, we need right now. We need to get our chuckles in, people.
The rebirth of tree leaves. We have to appreciate that it is, indeed, spring. Soon the trees will be in their full vibrant greenery. I dig that shit.
Riding my bicycle, Lucille. She is 6 years old and still looks and runs like new. I took her for the first ride of the season and the spring air in my face was delicious. We ride as a family, breathing more life into me. Hectic schedules make spending quality time together challenging. It was refreshing to ride, and laugh, and remain present. I’ve been toying with the idea of making us a bicycle gang.
The Code Switch Podcast.
Gene Demby and Shereen Marisol Meraji are giving me life with their honest conversation and unpacking themes of race, ethnicity, and culture. Sheeren has now included a “Songs that give you life” section, which I love and am now including in my blog posts.
This brings me to the song that is giving me life right now. Get on your feet by Gloria Estefan which is both super pop bubbly, fun, and poignant.
If you’re feeling helpless or angry, pick yourself up off the damn floor. Back away from the ledge. Turn these feelings around. Take some action.
Now flow with me, let’s talk about another thing that’s giving me life: These Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies.
These cookies are simple, nothing but a vanilla bean flavored cookie dough and chocolate chips. Simply put, these cookies are fantastic. They’re comforting. Soft. Chewy.
Grab a glass of milk.
What is giving you life today? Let me know!
Soft & Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies Recipe
- 2½ cups all-purpose flour spooned into measuring cup then leveled
- 2 1/2 teaspoons Cornstarch
- ¾ teaspoon Salt
- 1 teaspoon Baking powder
- 1 teaspoon Baking soda
- 1 cup Unsalted butter room temperature
- 1/4 cup Granulated sugar
- 1 3/4 cups Light brown sugar tightly packed
- 1 large egg plus 2 egg yolks at room temperature
- 2 tablespoons Vanilla extract
- 2 cups Semi-sweet or milk chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350° Fahrenheit and line two cookie sheets with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Add the all-purpose flour, cornstarch, salt, baking powder, and baking soda to a medium size bowl. Stir briefly to combine and set aside.
- In a bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment over medium/high speed, cream the butter and sugars until light, about 3-4 minutes.
- Add the eggs and yolk one at a time, incorporating the eggs into the butter/sugar mixture before each addition. Add the vanilla extract and beat until combined. Stop and scrape the mixer to incorporate ingredients.
- Turn the mixer speed to low and add the flour all at once. Mix until moistened. It's cool if you see bits of flour. Remove bowl from mixer and fold in the chocolate chips. Be sure to fold from the bottom to incorporate the ingredients. Cover the dough with plastic wrap. Place in the refrigerator for at least an hour.
- Remove bowl from fridge. With a cookie scoop, scoop balls of cookie dough on the parchment lined cookie sheet about 2 inches apart.
- Place in the oven and bake for 10-12 minutes (I usually bake for 10). Cookies will appear slightly under baked and that's cool. Remove from the oven and allow to cool in the cookie sheet for about 5 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Adapted from: Grandbaby Cakes