Gather ‘round, people – Your snacking experience is about to get AMAZING! THIS Garlic Bread Popcorn. All the flavors of deliciously addictive garlic bread – Basil, parsley, oregano and TONS of garlic – Mixed into popped corn kernels. And did I mention…? Panko breadcrumbs are added to this popcorn for a heightened garlic bread experience! Make a batch and it will be gone in minutes!
Today I’m on this, ‘How the hell am I supposed to talk about food when there is so much happening the world right now?’ – Flow.
I’ve been staring at my computer for at least 15 minutes asking myself this very question.
I’m supposed to keep this space light. When you roll up in here to read these lines it should feel like home. There should be a recipe at the end, directing you – With as much detail as possible – Towards food meant to rudely jolt your taste buds.
That is what my space was designed to do.
So, yah. I’ll take on the task and for today, forget. Not forget; rather store that fucker in a drawer and unpack it at a later date.
Now flow with me, I’m going to keep it light and talk about this Garlic Bread Popcorn.
This popcorn, bruh.
It’s been banging around in my brain for some time, as food tends to do. An idea pops in my head and then it simmers. Always on a low simmer. Just an idea. Then I break out the pencil and probably a paper bag. Anything I can write two sentences on.
Just an idea.
The simmer becomes… More. It grows. More than a simmer. Those busy little bubbles at the edge of the pot. Growing.
Ingredients coming together.
A thought: Savory popcorn.
An idea: Popcorn that tastes like garlic bread.
A question: How do I make garlic bread, again?
Basil. There is always basil in my garlic bread.
Parsley. Lots of it.
Oregano. I get that good shit from The DR.
Garlic! Lots and lots of garlic!
Powdered. It adheres to the kernels better.
I need something to deliver those herbs and powdered garlic. Deliver like a hammer on a nail.
Butter will do.
Idea on full rolling boil now!
Pop some kernels.
Mix that garlic/herb mixture.
Add to freshly popped popcorn. The popcorn that is scenting your house. Mix until the buttery garlic/herb mixture adheres to the popcorn.
The scent. Shit! Intoxicating.
What is this missing?
Add those in there. Some will adhere to the kernels. Some won’t. And that’s right.
Pop in a movie. Something happy. A comedy or something.
Settle that bowl between you and a loved one.
And for a moment don’t think of what’s going on in the world.
Keep it light as air. Keep it as light and as delicious as this Garlic Bread Popcorn.
Garlic Bread Popcorn
- 1 ¼ cup Unpopped corn kernels
- 3 tablespoons Coconut oil
- 5 tablespoons Unsalted butter melted and slightly cooled
- 2 ¼ teaspoon Dried parsley
- 2 ¼ teaspoon Dried basil
- 2 ¼ teaspoon Dried oregano
- 2 tablespoons Dried garlic powder
- Salt to taste
- 1/2 cup Toasted panko breadcrumbs optional
Pop your kernels, old school style:
- Set the heat to medium-high. Add coconut oil to a large pot with a lid. Add the kernels and cover the pot. When you hear the first sound of kernels popping, reduce heat to medium-low and allow the kernels to pop completely.
- Every minute or so, give the pot a shake to ensure all your kernels have been hit with a heat situation (this will make them all pop).
- Remove from heat, transfer to a very large bowl and set aside.
- OR!! If you own a popcorn maker (like the bomb-ass Whirley Pop) pop your popcorn according to manufacturer’s instructions.
Make the garlic bread mixture:
- In a small bowl, combine the melted butter, dried parsley, dried basil, dried oregano, and garlic powder. Mix to combine until it makes an herby paste. Sprinkle salt and taste. Adjust seasonings if needed.
- Pour the seasoned herb paste over the popcorn and with clean hands mix to distribute. Some kernels will have large amounts of herb mixture and that is a good thing. Add the panko bread crumbs, if using. Give it a little mix and enjoy immediately.