Bursts of juicy berries + limes + mint + a good pour of rum = BEST Berry Mojito ever!
“Who you tryin’ to get crazy with, Ese – Don’t you know I’m loco?!”
Don’t mind me… I’ve been listening to A.LOT. of 90’s hip hop.
It’s summer. Summer does that to me. It brings back memories.
Memories of youth, of warm summer evenings sitting on the stoop with friends.
Memories of summers in the hood.
Where every car, from latest model to straight up hooptie had a loud ass sound system; systems playing their own flavor – Be it merengue, salsa, slow jams, or hip hop. Where practically every window in every apartment was open, contributing to the sound.
We had our own sound system. And it was the hood. It was streets.
And at the center of it, was hip hop. To this day I can tell you what the air smelled like if you play a 90’s hip hop song.
Damn… I miss those days.
The opened hydrants
Side splitting laughter
Boys playing street football
The people. Always people.
The children. Always children. Always playing. Always laughing.
Many, many talks. About everything. About nothing.
And the music. Always the music.
This berry mojito sings. It is a hip hop hook in your mouth areas and it starts with a berry syrup. You guys already know – I’m about the syrup life. I like my cocktails punching me in the face with flavor. And this syrup is just that – A fruity punch in the face station.
I did a combo strawberry, blueberry, raspberry here. Now, I’d like you explore this berry situation further. Add cherries or blackberries. Add boysenberries if you can find them. Whatever floats your seasonal summer boat. Just start it with a syrup. The syrup makes enough to keep you in cocktails for a while.
Once the syrup is ready the rest of the cocktail is gravy. Well… Not gravy… You know what I mean! Some muddled berries and limes, a bit o’ mint, a healthy pour of rum and some seltzer. Boo… You are ready for a warm summer night. ‘Cause really, yo – This mojito is where it’s at. It embodies summer, summer, summertime.
That time… Where you sit back. Unwind. Sipping slowly and listening to some cool sounds.
For the berry syrup
- 1 ¼ cup Raspberries
- 1 cup Blueberries
- 1 cup Sliced strawberries
- 2 cups 16 ounces Water
- 1 ¾ cups Granulated sugar
For the mojito
- 6-7 Mint leaves
- 5 Blueberries
- 4 Raspberries
- 2 Strawberries sliced
- 1 Small lime quartered
- 2-3 tablespoons Berry syrup
- 2 - 2.5 ounces Dark rum
- Seltzer water
- Make the berry syrup:
- In blender combine the raspberries, blueberries and strawberries. Add 1 cup of water and blend on high until completely smooth. Pour the contents in a medium saucepan and add 1 more cup of water, followed by the sugar. Stir to combine and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low and allow the mixture to simmer until the sugar is fully dissolved and the mixture has a light syrup consistency, about 15 minutes or so. With a wooden spoon skim the foam that has accumulated on the surface of the syrup, and then strain the mixture into a glass container with a tight fitting lid. Makes about 24 ounces of syrup. Enough for a crapload of mojitos.
- Make the mojito situation:
- To a 12 ounce mason jar (go big or go home), add the mint, berries, and lime. Muddle with a muddler or back of a wooden spoon until the fruits have released their juice. Add the berry syrup, rum, and finally the seltzer. Give it a gentle stir with a long spoon and top with ice. Sip that situation by a veranda somewhere.