Tart cranberry simple syrup, juicy tangerines, mint, and a full bodied rum. This Cranberry Tangerine Mojito is the perfect holiday drink!
I’m going to celebrate the hell out of today, Saturday.
Celebrate the end of my Christmas shopping. Celebrating not giving into my seven year old’s demands cleverly disguised as two page, two sided letter to Santa requesting every toy under the sun – One of which included two American Girl dolls.
She got a knock off and she’ll be happy with it, because Santa is currently in litigation with American Girl over licensing. She’s getting 2 of the 5 Lalaloopsy dolls she requested. The lalaloopsy elves came down with candy cane poisoning and they were unable to fulfill her order.
She’s only getting one of the four Baby Alive dolls she requested because it’s the only one I found at TJMaxx. I’m not even making up a story for that one.
She’s getting the no name brand barking chihuahua instead of the Fur Real Friends Magical unicorn. Unicorns don’t talk, dammit. Plus last year I got her a Fur Real Friends puppy and she used it twice.
Twice! She’s not putting ME through that again.
She’s getting the talking toy parakeet. It’s damn cute.
I am celebrating not giving into her demands. She will no longer hold my credit cards with her tiny hand kung fu grip.
She doesn’t pay my bills!
Am I wrong for making up Santa litigation stories, mergers and acquisions, and food poisoning up in the North Pole? No. I’m not. Does that make me a bad parent? No, it doesn’t.
It’s either that or negotiating with a person who isn’t tall enough to look me in the eye.
So yah, I take liberties and do what I gotta do.
I am standing my ground and that my friends, deserves a mojito.
This mojito festive as hell. I’ve depleted my local supermarket’s supply and made enough simple syrup to last through Valentine’s day.
It’s slightly tart, sweet, and deep red. I love the combination of cranberries and tangerines. And you can’t forget the mint. Never forget the mint.
Ice. Always add ice.
A double shot of rum. You need it. I topped this with a Cranberry Lime seltzer. I can’t get enough of the stuff.
So today, Saturday, I will be decorating my tree, patting myself on the back, marveling at my craftiness all while sipping a few of these Cranberry Tangerine Mojitos.
Mmmhmm – That’s right.
For the cranberry simple syrup
- 1 1/2 cups Cranberries
- 1 cup Water
- 1 1/2 cups Granulated sugar
- Splash of Vanilla extract
For the Cranberry Tangerine Mojito
- 7-10 Mint leaves
- 2-3 tablespoons Cranberry simple syrup
- 1, quartered Tangerine
- 1.5 - 2.5 ounces Rum
- Cranberry Lime or regular seltzer
- Make the cranberry simple syrup:
- In a small saucepan combine cranberries, water, sugar, and vanilla extract. Bring to a boil over medium/high heat. Reduce the heat to low and simmer until the sugar dissolves and the cranberries burst and wrinkle.
- Remove from heat and allow to come to room temperature. Strain into a container with a tight fitting lid, pressing on the solids to extract as much liquid as possible from the cranberries. Discard the solids or save for another use (like spooning it in your mouth with abandon!). Seal and place in the refrigerator until ready to use.
- Make 1 Cranberry Tangerine Mojito:
- To an 8 ounce (or any tall) glass, add the mint leaves and cranberry simple syrup. Muddle with a muddler or back of a wooden spoon until the mint is slightly crushed and fragrant. Add the tangerine slices and muddle until the tangerines have released their fragrance and juice. Add rum, followed by the ice. Finally add the seltzer. Give it quick stir to incorporate the ingredients and sip. Mojitos are sipped.
- Simple syrup is enough for several mojitos.