These Chocolate Chip Walnut brownies are made with brown butter blondies, studded with walnuts and semi-sweet chocolate chips.
Is this thing on?
I know, I know… I disappeared for a while. A long while, actually. Damn near two months.
I’m not very good at apologies. Seriously… I don’t know how to. I usually bake people cookies or make them candles or do something nice to show I’m repentant beyond two meaningless words.
2017 was a tough year. I weathered a bit, aged like twelve years, put on twenty whole pounds added to my already overweight frame.
Spent a lot of time watching the news, waiting for… I don’t know… Waiting for shit to not be so fucking horrible.
Everything is so fractured.
This tribalism is so strange.
I feel like a triangle trying to force myself into one of those circle pegs.
Nuance has been removed from the conversation. Context is non-existent. Proof is a thing of the past. Facts… What are facts? People have been reduced to memes devoid of research and reason and historical proof.
This zapped my will to bake, something I enjoyed immensely. I kept taking weeks off at a time, depending on content I had already shot. One day in December following what I still think is a shit post – I decided – Fuck it. I’m taking the time I need without feeling guilt or pressure to churn out content.
I am reclaiming my passion for baking, love of sharing food, and my ability to bring humor to every situation no matter how fucked up.
I will return to baking and desserts. When I’m ready.
I hope you guys stick around.
In the meantime, I hope you enjoyed these Chocolate Chip Walnut Blondies
I adapted from Martha Stewart I baked sometime in October. Four times. They’re my way of saying I’m sorry, I guess.
Check out these brownie recipes!
Chocolate Chip Walnut Blondies
- 2 ¼ cups All purpose flour spooned then leveled
- 1 ½ teaspoons Baking powder
- 1 ½ teaspoons Salt
- 1 ¼ cup 2 ½ sticks Unsalted Butter, room temperature
- 2 cups Light brown sugar packed
- 1/3 cup Granulated sugar
- 3 large Eggs
- 1 tablespoon Vanilla extract
- 1 cup Chopped walnuts
- 1 cup Semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a 9x13 inch baking pan with two strips of parchment, leaving an overhang.
- Add the flour, baking powder, and salt to a medium bowl. Whisk quickly to combine and set aside.
- Place the butter in a medium saucepan. Allow the butter to melt and cook, over medium heat until the butter turns a nice golden brown and smells deliciously nutty. Remove the butter from heat and strain into a small bowl to remove the dark bits. Set aside to cool.
- In a bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, over medium/high speed, mix the brown butter, brown sugar, and granulated sugar until combined. Add eggs one at a time, mixing well with each addition. Mix until the mixture is light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Add vanilla, and beat to combine. Reduce the speed to low. Add flour mixture all at once and mix until just combined. Remove bowl from mixer. Fold in the walnuts and chocolate. Mix until combined, pour into prepared pan, and even out with an offset spatula.
- Place pan in the oven and bake for 30-35 minutes (do not overbake). Remove pan from oven and allow to cool completely. Using the overhang, lift the parchment paper and transfer blondies to a cutting board. Cut into 1-2 inch squares, or if you’d like to rock some shapes, use a 1 ½ - 2 inch cookie cutter.
- Makes a bunch of blondies. I forgot how many, maybe 20. Fight me.
- Adapted from Martha Stewart