If you dig coffee and chocolate chips, these Espresso Chocolate Chip Cookies are for you! This doughy cookie is flecked with espresso and studded with semi-sweet chocolate chips. You’re gonna love ‘em!
It’s been ten days since my last blog post. 10 DAYS! I didn’t realize it had been this long. I have to be real, real with y’all. This administration is stressing me the hell out. It’s AGING ME! I’m not alone in this.
Many of us are depleting anti-wrinkle stock, slathering that shit on our faces like butter on toast. We’re in varying states of disbelief over the daily shenanigans of this administration. This isn’t a partisan politics post. This isn’t a “Hillary lost and I’m weeping in my cookie dough” post.
I’m not fucking weeping.
I know, I know – Those internet trolls are waiting to attack the second a negative word is uttered about this president.
Newsflash, bruh – THIS IS AMERICA. And because it’s America, and because I pay the hosting fees to keep this sum’ bitch runnin’, I am free to say what I want here.
You ain’t ready for the clap back.
I am stressed the eff out.
If you regularly visit this space, you know I’m not your traditional food blogger.
I drop the F-bomb all the time. ALL.THE.TIME.
I’m not PC, though I try my very hardest not to offend people. I’m sensitive to race, culture, sexuality, lifestyle. We’re cool here.
I’m brown. Brown people can’t afford intolerance. Nothing in my life makes me any less brown. So the concerns of all marginalized groups are my concerns. Nothing changes that.
I registered Democrat because one of my high school teachers once said if I didn’t make $100k a year, I wasn’t Republican. Much to my dismay, I wasn’t making 100K a year by the time I registered to vote. In my defense, I was 18.
I don’t agree with every single piece of policy or legislature put out by the Democratic Party.
Why? Because I’m a fucking human being who thinks. I’m not a drone. I don’t follow crowds. I think for myself. I didn’t agree with every single policy put forth by President Obama. And I LOVED THE SHIT out of that mofo AND his family. And loving someone means not only acknowledging they’re wrong but having the balls to say so.
I don’t drink the partisan Kool-Aid. Fuck, I don’t even LIKE Kool-Aid.
But the way this administration is running things… I struggle with my words.
WTF happened to let’s work in a bi-partisan manner?
What happened to let’s work TOGETHER as one cohesive government to help move a country forward? Did I miss something here? When did politics become a gang war? Like, seriously… I’m expecting members of the senate to sport bandanas just so we can identify which gang they’re affiliated with.
What happened to govern for ALL Americans and not just the Americans who agree with your rhetoric?
I feel like I’m taking crazy pills.
And this struggle is affecting my writing. It’s affecting my baking.
And THAT, I have a problem with.
Now flow with me, let’s talk about these Espresso Chocolate Chip Cookies.
I’ve been adding coffee to errthang. I hope you’re not tired of one more espresso recipe.
I learned something new. More flour = doughy cookie situation. I dig that shit.
Brown sugar gives these cookies a fresh caramelized flavor.
Walnuts for crunch.
Flecked with espresso, studded with chocolate chips, and left slightly under baked. I love me a soft cookie. And this IS a soft cookie. If you’re sensitive to caffeine, I suggest you eat these in the morning. Morning cookies are the shit.
I have, however, eaten a few of these cookies at 8 PM without vibrating in place. I guess I’m developing a tolerance.
What I’m not developing a tolerance for is the direction in which this country is headed. The division, the government infighting, and the discord spilling out over differing ideals. WTF happened to live and let live?
We have to do better people. For serious, yo.
Espresso Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 3 cups spooned into cup then leveled All-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon Baking soda
- ½ teaspoon Baking powder
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1 cup Unsalted butter room temperature
- 1 ¼ cup Light brown sugar tightly packed
- ¼ cup Granulated sugar
- 2 Large eggs room temperature
- 1 tablespoon Vanilla bean paste
- 1 tablespoon Coffee liqueur
- 2 cups heaping Semi-sweet chocolate chips
- ¼ cup Coffee granules I used Café Du Monde
- Preheat the oven to 375° Fahrenheit and line 2 cookie sheets with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Add the flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt to a large bowl. Whisk quickly to combine and set aside.
- In a bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment (hand mixer and large bowl works here too), cream the butter and sugars over medium/high speed until light and fluffy, about 2-3 minutes.
- Add eggs one at a time beating well after each addition, followed by the vanilla bean paste and the coffee liqueur. Stop and scrape the mixer to incorporate ingredients.
- Turn the mixer speed to lowest setting. Add in the flour. I like to add it all at once, but feel free to add it gradually. Mix over low speed until just combined. You should see dry bits of flour. Stop and remove bowl from mixer.
- Fold in the chocolate chips and the coffee granules.
- Scoop spoonfuls of dough with a cookie scoop onto your hand and roll them quicky into balls.
- Place balls of cookie dough onto the baking sheets. Place baking sheet in the oven and bake for 9-12 minutes (shorter time for a goeey cookie), rotating the pan mid-way through for even baking.
- Remove cookie sheet from the oven and allow cookies to cool for about 5 minutes in the pan, then transfer cookies to a wire pan to cool completely.
- Makes over 3 dozen medium sized cookies.
- Adapted from: Lemon Tree Dwelling