Tart Lemon and vanilla bean are folded into these puckery bright Lemon Coconut Macaroons! I dare you to stop at just one!
Song giving me life: Armand Van Helden – Rumba
Lemon Coconut Macaroons
I have been staring at this page for the last four days, wrote the recipe, and added some pictures from… I dunno… Sometime last year. I’ve been on another baking hiatus. I want to say it’s been a ‘self care’ hiatus situation. I’d be lying. Other than go to work – Because I need a paycheck – I haven’t felt motivated to do much else.
I’ve been on autopilot, going through the motions of waking up, taking a shower, getting dressed. I drop my daughter off at school, work, come home. I cook. Sleep. Barely sleep. And each day bleeds into the next. Last week I felt motivated enough to go through the 12-hour ordeal of making croissants. Then my oven decided to be a jerk and burned half of them. Half.
Do you know how much delicious butter was sacrificed that night?!
It’s still too hard to talk about.
Now flow with me, let’s talk about these Lemon Coconut Macaroons.
These pictures are crappy, I know. And if I’m being honest, I was phoning it in with these macaroons. I mean, they’re delicious. They are. Creatively though, didn’t take much. I took a basic macaroon recipe and added lemon and vanilla bean paste.
OK, I take it back – These macaroons are amazing.
Doesn’t take a lot of strenuous work or brain power to make them. You probably have everything in your pantry right now, and you can totally make them if you’re on autopilot. Like me.
Some sweetened flaked coconut.
A whole lot of vanilla bean paste.
And let me tell you – Those flecks are everything.
Scooped onto a baking sheet and in the oven less than thirty minutes.
Make them for ya’ ladies when they come over for gossip or tea. Or whatever it is y’all do these days. Tupperware party?
Just make a batch.
You won’t be disappointed.
Click on for some more lemon recipes!
Lemon Coconut Macaroons
- 1 cup Sweetened condensed milk
- 1 tablespoon Vanilla bean paste
- 14 ounces about 4 1/2 cups Sweetened shredded coconut
- Zest of 2 lemons
- Juice of 1 lemon
- From 2 large eggs Egg whites
- 1/4 teaspoon Kosher salt
- Preheat the oven 325°F. Line 2 large baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a large bowl combine the sweetened condensed milk and vanilla bean paste. Mix with a silicone spatula until combined. Add the coconut, lemon zest, and lemon juice and stir with spatula until combined. Set aside while you beat the egg whites.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a whisk attachment, beat the egg whites and salt on medium/high speed until stiff peaks form, about 3-4 minutes. Be careful not to overbeat the egg whites. Fold the egg whites into the coconut/lemon mixture until no white streaks remain.
- Using a small cookie scoop, scoop coconut/lemon balls onto prepared baking sheet, leaving about 1 1/2 inches of space between each coconut/lemon ball.
- Place baking sheet in the oven. Bake, rotating halfway through for 25-30 minutes or until macaroons are light golden brown on top and the underside is tan.
- Remove macaroons from the oven and allow them to cool for about 5 minutes or so, then transfer them to a cooling rack to cool completely.
- Makes about 45 small macaroons